Sunday, April 06, 2008

Planting Cacti Is About As Fun As It Sounds

That is to say, not fun at all. This weekend's project was some irrigation and gardening work. The flower bed up against the back wall of the house was eroding (which can be a bad thing when you're dealing with an area up against the concrete slab) thanks in part to there being no rain gutters on the house, so the task for today was to put in wood bark mulch to help prevent even more erosion from occurring. Unfortunately there was also a bunch of unplanted cacti in the flower bed which I would have felt awfully guilty about leaving unplanted. So now after planting them I look like I've just given a cat a bath; my arms and hands are covered in little scratches. Don't know why the previous owner had such an obsession with cacti, but what I do know is that if I have to plant any more of them, I'm wearing welding gloves.

A co-worker once wondered what he'd do if computers didn't exist because he wasn't really good at anything else. I tend to agree with him. I'm certainly not cut out for doing manual labor all day every day for long periods of time. It's fine to do once in a while, but I think I'd go mad doing it all day every day. Probably'd be in a hell of a lot better shape than I am now, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home