Sunday, January 27, 2008

On Whiskey

I saw Charlie Wilson's War a couple weeks ago. It's a great movie. And though Tom Hanks is supposed to be the star of the film, personally I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays the better part as a CIA spy. I haven't really liked the parts he's played in any of the other movies I've seen him in, but he really nailed this part.

But no one really cares about my taste in movies, and why should they? The reason I bring this up is that the Charlie Wilson character (and I assume the actual Charlie Wilson) liked his whiskey. Now I personally am a beer snob, and it's probably been several months since a day passed without me having at least one beer. I drink wine sometimes as well, but I don't really drink it enough to have specific brand and style preferences like I do with beer. Very rarely do I drink hard liquor.

Anyways, as I watched this movie I thought to myself, why don't I drink more whiskey? After all, from what I understand the pre-distillation process of making whiskey is very similar to the process of making beer. And if that's true, then whiskey is essentially beer without all that pesky water. It's more efficient beer.

So now I'm drinking more whiskey these days. So far I've tried both Rittenhouse 100 proof Rye and Knob Creek bourbon. Both I enjoy quite a bit. I also have a bottle of Jim Beam Black, which I bought ages ago to use for Mint Juleps. I don't like it straight, though. It's not as strong, and it's got kind of a sour taste which I don't find palatable. So it'll probably be spending more time in my liquor cabinet.

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions for other brands and types to try, provided they are reasonably priced (I'm sure the $1000 bottle of 50 year old single malt scotch is wonderful, but I'm not buying it). I figure this'll be a lifelong journey of discovery like drinking beer has been and will continue to be. And I'm sure I'll enjoy the ride, even if my liver doesn't.

3 Comments:

Blogger Arthaey Angosii said...

Hey, whiskey's tasty stuff! Of course, I am an anti-snob -- I'm used to Jim Beam and E&J. :P So I can't give you recommendations, but I do approve your new-found taste. ;)

1/27/2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Well you know the saying about life being too short for cheap alcohol. Considering it's $20 a bottle for the two brands I mentioned vs. $16 for a bottle of Jim Beam; the small premium's worth it in my opinion. But to each their own. Though one of these days I'm going to break down and pay the $13 for a jar of Georgia Moon just to say I've done it.

1/27/2008 10:30 PM  
Blogger Arthaey Angosii said...

Huh, I didn't know the prices were so comparable. In that case, I would agree with you that it's worth it, if the +4-dollar varieties taste better.

That Georgia Moon stuff looks... interesting. Would you like some Thunderbird with that?

1/27/2008 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home