Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Haircut

I got my hair cut a couple weeks ago. For most people this isn't a big deal; they do so every couple months or so. I didn't think it was a big deal either, though just about everyone in my section of the building at work was either shocked that I got my hair cut or commented on the fact that I got my hair cut. The response was very similar to the one time I shaved off my beard in college: total shock from everyone who'd never seen me without it. I suppose the reaction kinda makes sense; I think the last time I cut my hair was in February, so it was getting pretty shaggy.

I have two criteria for determining when I should start considering getting my hair cut. The first and weakest of these is when my hair is no longer dry when I get to the office. My hair style routine consists of washing it in the shower and combing it back while it's wet. When it's short, it dries by the time I get to work and falls in a manner which looks good to me. If it's still combed back and wet looking by the time I walk through the office door, it's getting a bit long.

My second criteria is whether or not my hair's obstructing my vision enough that it's an annoyance. If I find myself needing to wear a hat or find myself doing that back and sideways head jerk to get my hair out of my eyes, it's really getting to be time to cut my hair.

I don't like getting my hair cut, though. It's annoying to take time out of part of a day to get it done, waiting to get my hair cut is boring, and I've never been good at describing how I want my hair cut. Usually the best I can muster is See how it looks? Now think how it must've looked 6 months ago. Unfortunately, until archaeological studies of hair is a standard part of a barber's curriculum, this is not going to be a reliable method of describing how I want my hair. So then I fall back on Cut at all a couple inches shorter than it is, which usually results in a better idea of how I like my hair, though it still results in questions on bang length and whether or not I want my hair to cover my ears. The comic below is part of a bit of commentary on my skills in this area by the person cutting my hair.

Fortunately it all turned out OK. But for a time I was pretty nervous. I had hair in my eyes so I couldn't really see what she was doing, and that little comment made it clear that I had failed to make her understand what I wanted. One of these days I'm going to get smart and bring a picture of myself with my hair cut to use as a model to anyone who ever needs to know how I want my hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home