Sunday, August 05, 2007

This Weekend's Festivities

This weekend Will, Lucas, and Shelly came down for a visit and to watch the Giants play the Padres. Good company and getting to see Bonds tie the home run record made for a good time, even if the rest of the game was mostly uneventful.

Will and/or Lucas asked me to write more of these little comics. I'm flattered anyone even reads them, let alone likes them enough to want me to make more. Today's comic is an excerpt of a conversation the four of us had at Starbucks while waiting for the game to start. It is the first comic to feature scenery, and there's even a prop (I consider the cup a prop, dammit)!

The drink, by the way, was Starbucks' Blueberry cream Frappuccino. I thought it was quite good, though I agreed it could've used more blueberry. I was asked to make the inline comics a touch larger so they could be read without clicking on them. Hopefully this one is more readable.

And though the question I asked was posed flippantly (both in the comic and in real life), there is a glimmer of legitimate theological question present: is it possible for a perfect God to create an imperfect world? Christians say their God is perfect. But what criteria is used to determine this perfection? How is perfect even defined? Because different answers to these questions can lead one to different conclusions regarding the perfection of the Christian God.

Here's an example. Two definitions I came up with for perfect are:

  1. Having no flaw
  2. Something which cannot be improved

Now if part of the criteria for determining perfection in God was a perfect creation (I'm not saying it is part of that criteria, just that it is for the sake of this example), then we'd have two completely different standards for judging whether or not God were perfect. If we used having no flaw as our definition, The Christian would need to show that the world wasn't flawed in order to prove God's perfection. But if we defined perfection as something which cannot be improved, they'd need to show that this world, though flawed, is the best of all possible worlds and therefore cannot be improved. Obviously using the second definition uses a lower standard for perfection but is more difficult to prove one way or the other (how many of you have knowledge of other possible worlds?).

I don't have any answers to the above questions I've asked, because I don't remember hearing answers to these questions from within the framework of Christianity, nor have I given them any strong thought or research from within Christianity. If someone would like to provide me (serious) answers to these questions, I'd love to hear them so the topic can be discussed further.

Lucas and Will asked me what I do in my free time. What I've written here is a pretty good answer for how I spend part of my free time: I come up with random thoughts and ponder them in my head for a bit. For example, I thought about this while driving to and eating my lunch. It's one of the nicer things about spending a lot of time alone: you're free to expand on thoughts immediately after you have them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home