Saturday, July 14, 2007

An Attempt at Drawing

Occasionally, there are little events which happen in my life that I feel like sharing with other people. Problem is, I'm a terrible writer. My attempts at writing stories of any kind rarely end up entertaining or even complete. For example, my NaNoWriMo attempt last year devolved into the characters giving a series of speeches, with the plot simply existing as filler in between the speeches. I've told several people that my stories read like bad imitations of Ayn Rand. Depending on your opinion of her writing, that either makes me a bad writer or a poor imitation of a bad writer (and therefore a terrible writer).

I have friends who can paint with words. These people can make something as benign as a movie review into a work of art; each word is placed with precision and flows into the next like a painter's brush strokes. I don't know how they do it; their writing is so far above and beyond my abilities that it makes my head hurt.

Anyways, something amusing happened to me at work the other day which I found amusing. I wanted to share it, but it's a story and I'd therefore tell it poorly. I've decided to write a little comic which tells the story instead. I'm a horrible artist as well, but I don't care. I just wanted to see if writing a story as a comic makes it easier for me to tell a story. I do like that the medium's requisite terseness forces me to get to the point of the story. This probably won't be a regular occurrence; I feel slightly guilty subjecting anyone who reads to too much of my stick figure art. But I may try this again sometime.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

Well, xkcd seems popular enough, and it's nothing but stick figures, with the occasional graph.

7/15/2007 5:00 AM  
Blogger Arthaey said...

As for writing stories: If you find you don't have enough experience with "literary" style to do it well (though this is something that can be practiced, if you care about it), another good choice is to write as though you were orally recounting the story to a friend. Most people (you included!) are quite good at telling their friends about whatever happened in their life.

Try writing down some story you've retold several times to friends -- silly family stories work for me; YMMV -- so you already sorta have the wording and rhythm of the story down. See if that comes out more authentically (and entertaining).

In any case, it's nice to see your blog update with what's going on in your life. (Which reminds me, my own blog is being horridly neglected at the moment...)

7/15/2007 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home