Monday, December 04, 2006

Call Me George

There's an episode of Seinfeld where George discovers that his instincts on relationships and life in general are always wrong. He eventually decides to always do the exact opposite of what his gut tells him and ends up benefiting from it.

I discovered I have this today, except I always go the wrong way down a street when I'm trying to get someplace. During lunch, I took a wrong turn to get to a restaurant, turning right when I should have turned left. As I turned around, I came to the above conclusion and decided to test my hypothesis. I was still unsure which side of the road the restaurant was on, but I had a hunch it was on the left side. So I stayed in the right lane. Sure enough, the restaurant was on the right.

Which brings me to the next problem, one which I recall was brought up in Seinfeld: how do I know which is my original, gut feeling and which is the corrected version? Or, put another way, what happens if my instinct reverses itself without my knowing it? I guess then I'll reverse the reversed instinct. Then when my brain automatically reverses the reversed instinct, I'll just reverse the reversed reverse instinct. Hopefully that operation's inlined; I don't want some mental equivalent of a stack overflow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

What's scarier...a potential mental stack overflow or the fact that you're relating to Seinfeld theories?

That being said...I'm so proud! :)

12/11/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Both bad, though of the two the mental stack overflow'd probably be worse since stack overflows generally mean your application's going to terminate.

Personally I'm more concerned about sharing a character trait with the George character. Who can honestly say they want emulate George Costanza?

12/12/2006 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home