Wednesday, July 05, 2006

On Moving (Or the Process By Which My Life Was Condensed Into A UHaul Trailer)

I hate moving over long distances. A lot. Yes, I know some of you have moved a lot more than I have, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it when I have to go through it, nor does it mean I can't dislike it.

That's my life up there, stuffed into a UHaul trailer. Pretty much everything I own is there. I always find moving a bit humbling, as it's kind of weird to see all of one's possessions stuffed into a confined space. Of course, getting those possessions into that confined space is a huge pain in the ass, the process I will now relay to you all.

On the 14th, the three of us headed over to the Hanford UHaul place to pick up the trailer we reserved. We took it back to the apartment and began the process of loading my shit into it. It was an unpleasant all day process. Even though all my stuff was in the garage, it still wasn't fun. In particular, the couch and dresser were the most complicated things to move. But we eventually got it all packed up and ready to go for the drive the following day.

The drive was...different. I'd only driven a UHaul trailer (or any trailer, for that matter) a short distance. Driving one for 7 hours and on a major highway is a whole different beast. In particular, I discovered that at 70 mph, a UHaul trailer will swerve like crazy, causing the back of my truck to start sliding out from behind me. If you're unsure of what I'm talking about, imagine you took a turn too fast, your tires lost traction, and you started to slide sideways. My truck did that anytime I went over 70. When this happens, the only thing you can do is let your foot off the gas and hold that steering wheel as straight as humanly possible.

I discovered this as I was passing a big rig on the 56. Scared the shit out of me. The last thing one wants to be when passing a big rig is out of control. Images of somehow ending up under the big rig filled my head, and finally passing the big rig left me breathing heavy sighs of relief for some time afterward.

The second time it happened, I was trying to change lanes on the 15 and noticed a car in my rear view mirror. I was halfway done with the lane change and darted back to my lane. Big mistake. Slow and controlled is the name of the game when towing a trailer. The last thing you want to do is make a sudden movement. The trailer started swerving, more violently than it had before, and I was again left breathing heavily afterward. But I made it safe and sound.

Moving was uneventful. At this point, I've been living down here for a couple weeks and am pleased with my living arrangements. Much nicer place than Mustang, with a much friendlier and more competent staff.

Part 3 of this series, On Working, will be written when I get around to it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous smanoli said...

yes, moving can suck. But aren't you glad you had some practice driving a trailer before attempting a 7hr drive on the highway. :)

7/09/2006 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home