Friday, February 03, 2006

An Embarrassing Lunch

So I joined Kris for lunch yesterday, as I often do on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We decided to join four of the CS professors(Keen, Haungs, Smith, Clements) and Sysadmin Tom. No one was really talking too much when we all sat down, so of course Kris, epitome of social grace that he is, decided to break the ice by saying (paraphrased), So Professor Keen, I don't know if you've heard this, but Aaron took your final drunk.

As Kris was saying this, it was as if time had slowed down. I couldn't believe those words, arranged in the way he had arranged them, directed towards the person he directed them, were coming out of his mouth. I wasn't mad, but I was certainly astonishted. I would have liked to seen the looks on everyone's faces, but I was too busy burying my head in my arm. Questions were asked, statements make.

Did you pass? Got a few points under the class average.

That wasn't a good idea. I never claimed it was

Then there was this exchange between Professor Keen, Kris, and I.

Me:
I didn't want to take the final drunk.
Professor Keen:
Sure you did. No one held a gun to your head and forced you to drink
Me:
What I want to do and what I do consentually are not always the same thing
Kris:
Exactly. For example, right now, Aaron want to kill me.

Fortunately the conversation quickly turned from that, and I had an enjoyable lunch. Topics of conversation ranged from which burger joing in north SLO county has the best burgers to defining a drawing line between smut and legitimate artistic dance. Professor Clements argued that if one tips the dancer by stuffing dollar bills in her clothing, it's smutty. If not, it's legitimate artistic dance. A good dividing line, I think. I'm glad our professors are rounded enough to develop theories outside their area of expertise.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Will said...

So is Kris dead yet? ;-)

2/04/2006 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home