Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Evangelist Bingo

Since there seems to be an influx of evangelists in or around the SLO area, I propose the following game. Actually, I doubt it's an original idea of mine, but I came up with it without any outside influence. It's called Evangelist Bingo and both atheists and non-atheists alike can play. It's a rather simple game. Create a standard BINGO card. You get your FREE space (I recommend a picture of Buddy Christ in the FREE space). Pick 24 of these 300 Proofs of God's Existence and strategically place them around the card. Every time someone attempts to evangelize to you and uses one of these proofs during their spiel, mark it down on your BINGO card. The BINGO rules would have to be decided before a game is started. To make things more interesting, a pool could be created where everyone throws in $5 to play. Winner takes the pool. However, to make things fair for those of us who don't go to religious schools, it has to be unsolicited evangelism. When I say unsolicited, I mean that the person doesn't know who you are or what your religious affiliation is, and they cannot be directed to you by anyone who knows you or your religious affiliation. For example, Mormons at your door count, as do Farmer's Market evangelists. Roommate Dan, former Bible study leader, doesn't count. If something's grey area, we can go there from then.

Out of sheer boredom, I've made a blank playing card. If enough people are interested in playing, I can make a little web app that would allow you to generate your own BINGO cards using this card as a template.

Update

The problem with boredom is that it doesn't go away very quickly. As a result, I wrote that little webapp that allows you to generate your own Evangelist BINGO cards. It's still fragile, and it's still a work in progress, but if you want to play, you have two options. You can go to this free site I set up and make yourself a card, or you can go to my personal server, which I'd rather not link to on the Internet (hint: if you know the address of my server, the page is evangelist.php). If anyone wants to play an offical game where we'd compete against each other, let me know and we'll make some rules that everyone feels are fair and/or fun.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Will said...

I haven't been evangelized to in years...I think the people going to private schools are at at severe disadvantage in this game.

12/15/2005 8:33 AM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Well, I suppose I could open it up to solicited evangelism so things like church and chapel counted. The easiest way to make the rules fair would be to play it a few times to figure out what works.

12/15/2005 11:54 AM  
Blogger Forrest said...

Theism = belief in god
a-theism = (without) belief in god
non-atheism = non non-belief in god.

Weird how anti-things get inverted again in language. Although, I'd guess that thiests only came after atheists called themselves that. You know what Arthaey says about guessing at etymologies tho.

12/15/2005 8:09 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

I actually put thought into how I was going to phrase that -- atheists and non-atheists or religious and non-religious. I decided to do the ego-centric thing and categorize everyone in relation to me. So, atheists and non-atheists. Besides, I would imagine that atheists would be more likely to want to play this game at all.

12/15/2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

667: ARGUMENT FROM KING KONG
(1) In the movie King Kong, Kong is shown ascending a set of stairs to a precipice(sp?) made of rock.

(2) Stairs demand iteligant design.

(3) The movie was filmed in New Zealand, a natural location

(4) The stairs occur naturally

(5) Therefore, God exists.

12/18/2005 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home