Friday, November 11, 2005

Piss and Cyser

For the past several years, I've been telling myself that I needed to make a hard cider out of the quite excellent apple cider that's made locally. This idea later evolved into making a cyser, which is a mead made with apple cider (mead, as we all know, is an alcoholic beverage made by fermenting honey). About a month ago, my parents bought me some of this unpasteurized apple cider that had already started to ferment. By accident, I neglected to drink it for a couple weeks after they bought it for me. But when I finally did open it, I was greeted with a pleasant surprise. The cider had hardened. Not too much, mind you, but enough to make it carbonated, slightly less sweet than normal, and quite delicious. This sealed the deal, so to speak. I resolved to make cyser. With this being a four day weekend (I rarely go to my Thursday class anymore), I decided now was the time. So yesterday, Jerry and I went out and bought some apple cider and some other apple juice that came in a glass jar (I needed the jar as a fermentation vessel). After the usual Farmer's Market trip, I went home and prepared the cyser. I used maybe a pound or two of honey and a gallon of the apple cider. For those who care, the specific gravity of the concoction was about 1.103. For those who have no idea what I just said, I'll just say that it tasted like a very sweet apple cider with honey mixed in. I've been periodically checking on it today, and the fermentation is proceding nicely. The airlock is currently bubbling about once every five seconds.

Unfortunately, last night wasn't all peaches and cream (or cider and honey, as it were). While in the midst of preparing my beloved cyser, some drunken asshole pissed on our door. Yeah, pissed on our door. After realizing this was what was going on, I banged on the door and told them to stop pissing on our fucking door. Shortly after, We went out to confront the drunks. I asked less than politely who exactly it was who pissed on our fucking door, and got no answer. I repeated my query, and finally people started talking to us. They explained that it was some drunk guy at their party, agreed that it was unacceptable, and agreed to clean up the mess. There was some disagreement among Us about whether or not that was sufficient reparations for their actions, as it also happened last week. But we eventually decided to leave it at that, agreeing that if it happens again, the police will be involved. I imagine they're quite good at dealing with drunks as they've probably had a lot of practice doing so. And public urination fines just went up at the beginning of October, so it is no longer an inexpensive proposition to urinate on doors (though in the interest of full disclosure and to keep accusations of my hypocrisy at bay, I pissed on the men's restroom door at Santa Rosa park last Saturday. I was drunk and upset that the restroom door was locked, so there we go. That said, it's a little bit different than pissing on the door to someone's home).

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

and the wall somewhere deep into the city of SLO while horrifically lost ;)

11/11/2005 7:17 PM  
Blogger staticfoo said...

That was actually a fence.

11/11/2005 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Will said...

Yeah...and wasn't it the fence of a school?

11/12/2005 8:12 AM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Yeah, it was an elementary school fence.

11/12/2005 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home