Wednesday, November 02, 2005

NaNo: Day 1

For those of you who don't know, I was convinced to take part in NaNoWriMo this month. For my novel, I've decided to write the sacred text of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. So far, I've got the creation story and the fall of the serpent and the rise of the pirate complete, for a total of 1721 words. The flow of the text is loosely based on that of the Bible, but I've been trying my hardest to make it unique in its own right instead of re-writing the Bible and replacing God with Flying Spaghetti Monster. I think it's been diverging from the Bible the further along I go. Actually, the story took a rather unexpected turn last night at about 2:30. Vafra, who ends up being a combination of the serpent and Abraham in the Biblical narrative, unexpectedly cursed the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster after the Flying Spaghetti Monster commanded his sons to leave their home and go to their respective promised lands. The Flying Spaghetti Monster, who apparently does not take kindly to such blasphemy, struck Vafra dead.

I think my biggest departure from the Biblical story so far will be the concept of multiple chosen people. In the Bible, there is always one chosen lineage; and through this lineage, good things happen. I think the concept of multiple chosen people lends itself to a less structured religion where there are multiple ways to be right with god. And on that subject, I'm not sure how people should get right with the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or how it will be possible to not be right with him. Obviously blasphemy is forbidden, but is death punishment enough, or does there need to be eternal torment? Hopefully I'll be able to answer these questions.

5 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

And I quote from the FSM website:

"It is disrespectful to teach their beliefs without wearing "His" chosen outfit, full pirate regalia."

I fully expect you to be wearing an eyepatch once you release the first version of the FSM bible ;)

11/03/2005 7:42 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Actually, I think I'm going to change my take on this text. I was originally intending this to be a parody, but it isn't really funny. And after having a third group of people at Farmer's come talk with Jerry, Catherine, and I about religion, I decided that I want to write about what my ideal religion would be. I actually played around with the thought of ditching the FSM concept, but as of now I'm keeping it.

11/04/2005 12:43 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

so you're gonna have an ideal religion including the FSM?

11/04/2005 7:11 AM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Pretty much, yeah. Though I could probably remove all references to the FSM and still have the same story. But I have too much written to change it now.

11/04/2005 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Jesse said...

Well aren't you ambitious! I considered taking part of it myself... but between homework, Honors Projects and having to write stories for my Fiction Writing class... it just wasn't going to happen.

Good luck!

11/09/2005 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home