Friday, October 21, 2005

The Scarlet Letter

So I don't know exactly what it is about Jerry and I that screams heretic, but there must be something. For the second time in 3 weeks or so, people have walked up to us during Farmer's in an attempt to convert us. Yesterday's evangelists proved my hypothesis wrong that the further away from the street one sits, the lower the probablity of conversion attempts. One would further think that whatever Jerry and I do that screams heretic would have been cancelled out by Lucas and Shelly's presence, but that unfortunately was not true either.

The first 2 guys who came by 3 weeks ago weren't too bad. Though their arguments had logical gaps and flaws, and the conversation very much followed the conversion playbook, they at least knew how to respond to the answers we gave. The guys last night, on the other hand, didn't. Lucas answered their questions well enough to be left alone rather quickly, but they didn't really know how to respond to what I was saying. I'm pretty sure it didn't occur to them that someone would actually leave their religion. They kind of just stared at each other every time I answered one of their questions. I mean, honestly, you have to do better than that when you're trying to convert people. If only there were some sort of Do Not Convert list that I could be put on so people wouldn't bug me when I'm trying to eat.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

I think that would only draw more people to you ;)

Hey could you send me the hummingbird,rainbow,and soda crushing videos we watched? Those were classic.

10/24/2005 8:19 AM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Perhaps it would. I've also floated the idea of just telling them what they want to hear to them so they go away, but that'd be a pretty fucked up thing to do. I suppose I don't mind the discussions (Dan, Jerry, and I had a rather nice and long one yesterday evening); I just mind it when random people interrupt me when I'm eating and feel like they must convert me. There's no real desire to understand my position; only a desire to get theirs across.

10/24/2005 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home