Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Switch

So today counts as my second conversion of the year. After a lifetime of Windows (and to a lesser extent, Linux) usage on my primary system, I have purchased and received my iBook. After spending about an hour on this system, I completely fell in love with it. It has an elegance and polish to it that I have never seen on Windows and Linux. It seriously just works, and it works really well. I'm left wondering why I (and others) have such an apprehension when it comes to Macs. There just seems to be this hatred in the Windows world for Macs that doesn't really make any sense at all. But, I don't care anymore. Dominique is truly beautiful in form and function, and I look forward to having a long and productive relationship with her.

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Aaron...all I can say is "how could you?"

Mac=not user friendly
Mac=what the hell is this computer doing
Mac=how do you find anything on this computer

Although I will give them itunes. thats about it, though.

9/23/2005 9:54 AM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

I guess I expected this by changing sides in what has become a religious war. I could have pissed on a cross and gotten less of a reaction;). But let me respond to your complaints.

Not user friendly: A rather subjective statement, and a vague one at that. Without knowing specifics, I will say that I personally have found it more user friendly than Windows. Most of Windows' "user friendliness" comes from familiarity with Windows instead of raw intuitiveness.

What the hell is this computer doing: I can open a terminal, type "ps -A" and find out exactly what programs the computer's running. Or I can throw my mouse up to the upper left hand corner of the screen to find out exactly what windows I have open.

How do you find anything on this computer: Click on the hard drive icon. Applications are in the "Applications" folder. Your files are in the "Home Directory" folder. Beyond that, I honestly don't know what you need to find on your system.

9/23/2005 12:38 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

I guess it stems from familiarity with windows and assuming it will be similar to windows. Although I still much rather prefer the windows at the bottom of the screen to having to drag the cursor to the side to see which applications are running.

9/25/2005 6:22 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

You get that too. All running applications are displayed in the Dock on the bottom of the screen.

9/25/2005 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home