Sunday, September 25, 2005

End of an Era

So today's my 21st birthday, which apparently means I can drink something called alco-hol. From what I've gathered, this alco-hol is some sort of drug that tends to lower inhibitions in those who drink it. Of course, since I wasn't allowed to drink alco-hol before today, I can't say for certain if this is true. I'd like to take a moment to thank the government for keeping me from booze, as we all know that I'd never ever drank alcohol before.

But seriously, at midnight, my friends and I hit the bars with the purpose of scoring free drinks. Unfortuantely, Jerry still doesn't really have identification, so he wasn't let into any bars but one (he managed to find his learner's permit from Arizona that expired four years ago. Only one bar accepted it as a valid form of ID). I didn't want to leave anyone out of the fun, so that's pretty much the bar we hung out at. I got my free birthday drink, the drink that Joe bought me, a shot of Goldschlager, and a pint of Newcastle ale (plus the 5 or so drinks I had before we hit the bars). After the bars closed, we had some...breakfast? at Burger King, then headed back to the apartment for sleep. After I woke up, my parents took me wine tasting around the area and got me a bottle of wine.

I've also taken this opportunity to think about my drinking habits. The last time I went out, I was a huge inconvenience to my friends. I passed out in a movie theater, forcing them to drag my fat, drunken ass out of the theater, someone had to be called to drive my drunken ass home, they had to clean up what my drunken ass threw up, and had to watch me to make sure I didn't drown myself in vomit when they threw my drunken ass in my bed. I vowed that I would never, ever, inconvenience someone like that again. They act like it was no big deal, saying that I'd have done the same thing (which is true), but how often do you think they'll be taking me up on that? Never. Equally important is the fact that I don't want to be the friend who everyone has awesome stories about but who died a year after they graduated from college. As a result, I'm going to try to cut down on how much I drink in one sitting. The days of drinking 19 drinks in 3 hours are most likely gone except for extreme circumstances.

I've also thought about why I drink as much as I do, and I think I have a decent answer for that. I, at my core, am a shy individual when around people I'm not familiar with. Only when I get to know people do I become the outgoing Aaron that everyone knows or loves. Coincidentally, I become this person when I drink. As I enjoy being my outgoing self, it stands to reason that I drink to become the person that I want to be. I don't know if this problem has any real solution other than to change the core of my being, but at least I think I know what the problem is.

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

congrats. welcome to the beginning of a new era!

and next time i see you i'll buy you a bottle of some kind of liquor for your belated bday.

happy 21st

9/26/2005 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Will said...

I second that. I'll get ya something too. We have to celebrate this!

9/26/2005 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to hit the bars next time we're all back in the Valley.
-Andrew

9/27/2005 5:45 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

To answer your question on my xanga--I don't regularly attend there right now, but I still go every once and a while because it's where our families are and a lot of people I grew up with are. I know I do seem to gripe about them a lot...and I can't say it's only about little things. It's not a bad church all in all, they just have some things they need to work on. And about the whole being uncomfortable taking in prostitutes, I really think that unfortunately most halfway conservative Christian churches would be uncomfortable about it. Really sad, but it's reality. We should be seeking them and other "bad people" out. Anyway, just thought i'd clarify.

10/14/2005 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home