Thursday, August 18, 2005

Working In The Lab

I discovered today, as my 10-hour work day dragged on, that I feel a lot less mentally exhausted when I work in the ScanScope lab instead of in my cubicle. Although it's physically less comfortable than my cubicle (where I have a comfortable chair and can rest my legs on the desk), there's more interaction with other people. It's a noisier environment which, strangely, enables me to work harder than I otherwise would. Plus, I get to work with actual ScanScopes instead of the demo Controller that runs on my workstation. I swear, I must've made at least 50 scans of that damn demo slide image (which is an ugly black and white image that scans into a blue test pattern). At one point, I had 18 gigs of test pattern images stored on my workstation. As an added bonus, I think working with the real scopes helps me find more bugs. I seem to have fewer problems when I use the demo Controller, probably on account of there being no actual hardware involved. If I can find a free scope to work on, I'll probably start spending more time there in the lab

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

You lost me at discovered...

8/19/2005 10:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Well then allow me to break it down for you
Today: The current 24 hour period of time that begins at 00:00 and ends at 24:00.
ScanScope: The thing the company I work for builds. To overly simplify things, it's essentially a digital camera mounted to a microscope.
Lab: The place where the ScanScopes are assembled and tested.
Cubicle: A mini-office with short partitions instead of walls. I work in one of these.
Controller: The piece of software that controls the ScanScope.
Demo slide: A very ugly black and white image of a microscope slide. The goal of the demo Controller is to emulate the operation of a ScanScope without the need for an actual ScanScope
Test Pattern: A very ugly blue pattern that simulates a microscope slide scan.
18 gigs: A very large amount of data, especially data that is entirely the above mentioned ugly blue pattern
Hopefully everything is now crystal clear

8/19/2005 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home