Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Summed Up In A Sentence

I was talking to my mom over the phone this morning, and she said something that I think gives a pretty big clue as to why we don't always get along too well. She called to see if I was successful in talking to the engineering advisor about some questions I had. You see, for the past 4 days, I've been trying to get a hold of the advisor to no avail. She wasn't there on Thursday, she was at a meeting on Friday, and she was busy Monday and never called me back. This morning I got the same line about her being too busy to talk to me, so I was a bit upset. I told my mom that I wasn't going to try to call them anymore since they apparently had no desire to talk to me. (The advisor actually did end up calling me back, but it was during our monthly company meeting, so I wasn't able to talk to her. When I tried calling them back at 1:00, I got their answering machine. Go figure.) Anyways, my mom told me to pray about it. When I reminded her that I don't pray, she said, One of these days we're going to have to sit down and find out who did this to you. (or something to that effect; I don't remember the exact wording).

She seems completely unwilling to believe that I am capable of making some of the decisions I've made. She blamed Victor (friend from home) and Jay (freshmen roommate) for my drinking, and I don't know who she blames for my decision to leave the Christian faith. I'm quite adamant when I say those decisions were mine and mine alone, but she doesn't seem to want to listen to that. When I hear her try to pin my choices on someone else, it makes me think she doesn't respect my judgment or think I'm capable of living my own life. And considering many of our arguments are at their core due to disagreements over something I want to or don't want to do, I think quite a bit was said in this one sentence.

4 Comments:

Blogger staticfoo said...

Remind me to not bring up my atheism when your parents are visiting then...

8/10/2005 7:08 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

i'd blame it on peter griffin ;)

8/11/2005 12:05 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

Yeah, you'd be better off not mentioning that to her

And the last thing I need is to blame Family Guy. She hates that show enough as it is. "Jesus loves me, he loves me a bunch. Cause he always puts skippy in my lunch."

8/11/2005 9:43 PM  
Blogger staticfoo said...

But Family Guy always shows God and Jesus as existing!


... and lighting bars on fire...

8/12/2005 12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home