Sunday, August 07, 2005

Party Of One

Although I've done it several times this summer and prior, I still haven't quite mastered the art of dining alone in a restaurant. Dining out at its very core is a social activity. Consider that much of the time spent in a restaurant is spent sitting at the table waiting for the food. A long period of time sitting at a table; there's not really anything else to do but socialize. When eating alone, one is pretty much left at the table with their thoughts, which isn't bad except it gets kind of boring after a while. I've been trying to come up with something to do to pass the time, but I've yet to be successful. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Oh, and I also discovered today that I don't have the same appreciated for paintings that I do for photography. I went back to Balboa Park today, this time with my camera. I checked out the Museum of Art for the hell of it, but it just didn't do much for me. I guess It's because I can't draw or paint, so it's difficult for me to determine what's good or not. I've taken lots of pictures, a few of them decent; so I at least know how hard it is to take a good picture and have an idea of what one looks like when I see it. But I apparently have no idea what a good painting looks like. A lot of them look like something a 5 year old painted, and yet they're considered great pieces of art. So fuck it; I'll stick to photography.

4 Comments:

Blogger staticfoo said...

Write code?

8/08/2005 5:49 AM  
Anonymous Will said...

Every once in awhile I'll go to the Taco Bell in Reedley on my lunch break, and since I always go alone...I just bring my trusty Onion book along with me. I get the occasional strange look from other people wondering why the hell I'm laughing, but I don't care. Reading while eating is awesome when you're by yourself.

8/08/2005 5:09 PM  
Blogger Aaron *@ said...

I like the book idea. If I can find a good book, I'll have to do that. Writing code sounds too much like work. Considering I usually go out to eat because I'm too drained from work to want to cook dinner, I think I'll pass

8/09/2005 5:40 PM  
Blogger staticfoo said...

Ahh yes. That would make sense. I'd probably read, come to think of it, but I tend to not eat in restaurants alone.

8/10/2005 5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home