Monday, June 06, 2005

Living in the Past

Some of you may be aware that I've been in the process of formatting my laptop this past weekend. My wireless network card was causing Windows to lock, so I figured that I'd try reinstalling Windows to see if that would solve the problem. But I also figured that I'd try giving Linux a shot again on this thing. After all, it's been 2 years since it last graced this machine, and Linux has become a lot more polished since then. Plus I have more of a clue about what the hell I'm doing with regard to Linux than I did 2 years ago. I'm installing Gentoo, which I'm familiar with as it's the distro running on my server. Unfortunately, it takes a very long time to get a working system. X took at least 3 hours to compile and install, and KDE has probably been compiling for another 4 hours. And this is with both my computers compiling. As a result, I have no graphical user interface that I can use for this computer. So I've been taking this time to reacquaint myself with the command line. I've been using links2 as my web browser and naim as my AIM client. I've been fortunate that these 2 programs are able to keep me linked with the outside world as I struggle to study biology. Because it's one thing to use the command line to do a simple task and return to the comfort of a GUI; it's a completely different beast to use the command line because there's no other option. How people got their work accomplished without going insane, I'll never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home