Saturday, May 14, 2005

I Love Being Blown Off

Yesterday I received notice From Netflix that Penn and Teller: Bullshit was supposed to arrive today. So I eagerly went over to the Mustang Village II office to pick up the disc. The office was closed. I called the Mustang I office, who told me they were busy and that the disc was there if I wanted to pick it up. So I drove over there and picked it up. I told them that they perhaps needed to hire more people if they couldn't staff both offices. They replied that they were fully staffed. I responded by saying that they obviously weren't, as them being busy made them unable to have an office open when it was supposed to be. I suggested that they look into it. They said they would, but in a way that sounded like they were blowing me off.

It pisses me off that they're so willing to treat me with such disregard. I pay enough to live here, and I expect them to, at the bare minimum, have the office open when it's supposed to be open. It pissed me off enough that I decided to write the corporate office. I rarely write letters, as I find it rarely does anything to fix the situation, but I think that problems are often not fixed because those in charge don't know there's a problem, or think that no one cares about the problem. By writing corporate, neither of those excuses applies. Below is the text of my letter.

I am writing to complain about the front desk service at the University House, Mustang Village property. It would perhaps make more sense to contact Mustang Village directly, but it is my hope that sending this to the corporate office will increase the probability that something will be done to address my complaint.

As you are aware, University House owns 2 properties in San Luis Obispo. I live in University House, Mustang Village 2. Today I attempted to go to the Mustang 2 office to pick up some mail that was too large to fit in the mailboxes provided for us. Although the office should have been open between the hours of 10:00 am and 5:00 pm, it was not. I checked back several times between the hours of 12:30 pm and 3:30 pm, but the office was not open at any of these times. I called the Mustang 1 office, who told me they were too busy there to send anyone to the Mustang 2 office. They suggested that I go over to the Mustang Village 1 office to pick up my mail, which was there.

When I arrived at the Mustang Village 1 office, it did not appear that they were busy at all. I told the office staff that perhaps they needed to hire more desk staff if they were unable to properly staff the Mustang 2 office during posted hours. They told me that they were fully staffed and did not need to hire any more people. I then suggested that they look into the situation at hand, which left no one to man the Mustang 2 office when it was supposed to be open. They said they would look into it, but they said it in a way that suggested that they would not look into it at all.

This is at least the second time that I have found the Mustang 2 office not open during posted hours. I am told by others that it is not an uncommon occurrence. I do not usually have occasion to go to the office, so I cannot say how often the office is closed when it should be open. I am only able to vouch for the 2 times I can remember when I tried to go to the Mustang 2 office during posted hours but found it closed. I find it inconvenient to be forced to walk to the other office because the front desk staff is unable to man the Mustang 2 office during posted hours. I find it upsetting that the front desk staff and the management does not see this as a problem.

I am a good tenant. I pay my rent on time, and I do not cause problems around the complex. I fulfill my end of the contract that I and University House signed. I only expect that University House do what they say they will do, just as I do what I say I will do. Just as University House expects me to pay my rent by the 5th of each month because I said I would, I expect University House to open the Mustang Village 2 office when they say it will be open. This is all I ask. If it is too much to ask that University House, Mustang Village do what they say they will do, it may force me to reconsider living here in the future.

Hopefully I'll get a response soon. If I don't, I'll be really pissed. As much as I complained about Cerro's front desk and Poly's mail service, at least they were there when they said they'd be there (except for the package center, which also had a problem being open when they were supposed to be).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Will said...

That's amazing. Good letter, though...I'm sure it'll get somebody's attention.

5/15/2005 9:45 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

or, more likely, it will give them a good laugh at the tenant they are not providing services to.

5/16/2005 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home