Friday, April 22, 2005

Sweet Zombie Jesus

So there I was, sitting around and watching Firefly, when I decide to check out my favorite bittorrent site, when lo and behold I see the following at the top of the list of torrents:

Family Guy S04E01 PREAIR XviD-DONG

My heart stops; thoughts run through my head. What was Family Guy's last season? It was three, wasn't it? It was. Oh shit. Quickly I click on the link to start downloading it. Unfortunately my Internet connection was too slow. It took all of 10 minutes to download a 200 MB file. 10 minutes too long for Family Guy. It finishes. I press play. It begins playing.

Sweet God.

The opening scene showed Lois bemoaning the fact that they got cancelled, then wondering aloud if they'll ever get back on the air. For at least 30 seconds, Peter rattles off the names of just about all the shows Fox has cancelled since Family Guy went off the air, then tells us that if all those shows get cancelled, they may have a shot back on the air. It was amazing; they didn't miss a beat.

In classic Family Guy fashion, the show was full of random tangents. The first of these showed what would happen if Peter were Jesus and being tortured by the Romans. I won't give away much of it, but I will say that the animation has a different feel to it than past Family Guy episodes. Whereas seasons 1 through 3 had relatively simple animation with mostly solid colors, this episode had more complex and smooth animation. Either Forrest or Jerry likened it to Futurama-style animation, though I don't think it's quite that slick. I should add that this only applies to the backgrounds; the characters still look the same as they ever did. All in all, it was one of the best 30 minutes of my life; and definitely the best 30 minutes of this year. I would say that watching this episode was probably the fourth religious experience I've had (first one being the Tool concert in Bakersfield, the second being the purchase of Volume 2 of Family Guy, and the third being Sanitarium). The only drawback is that I'll have to wait awhile before I get to watch the rest of this season. But I have a feeling it'll be well worth it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Will said...

I like how all of your religious experiences either have to do with Family Guy or awesome concerts. ;-)

You wouldn't still happen to have a link to that, would you?

4/24/2005 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home