Thursday, March 17, 2005

Waiting for Cim

It's rare that I get to say that my life can be compared to a literary work, but I get to say that in this case. This of course is exempting the Canonical 4 (South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons, and Futurama)which can be applied to all aspects of life. Just about every day, when it is expected that there will be a coding party at Catherine and Tim's, Jerry, Forrest, and myself often communicate with each other as to when the coding parties actually start. Don't ask why we don't just directly ask Catherine or Tim when there's coding, because I don't know. Anyways, The conversations often break down into what I've excerpted below. I've left the timestamps in because it adds to my point.

(18:57:10)Me:
so has there been any rumour of coding
(18:57:32)Jerry:
I have heard none..
(18:57:45)Me:
nor have i
(18:58:27)Jerry:
Then again, I haven't asked.
...
(20:31:45)Jerry:
Still no talk of coding?
(20:31:56)Me:
nope
(20:32:09)Jerry:
Has anybody asked?
(20:32:20)Me:
i don't think so
(20:35:00)Jerry:
Perhaps someone should?
(20:35:15)Me:
that wouldn't be a bad idea
(20:46:33)Me:
so have you asked yet
(20:46:56)Jerry:
I wasn't aware that I was the one to ask..
(20:47:03)Jerry:
I figured you were

This conversation reminded me of a play I read part of very long ago in high school English: Waiting for Godot. For those who haven't read it, it's a play about two characters waiting for a third character named Godot. Although it becomes clear early on that Godot's never going to be meeting with the two main characters, they still wait all day every day for him to show up. As a result, the two main characters never do anything or go anywhere, for fear of missing the one moment when Godot arrives. Below's an excerpt of the play where the two main characters, Estragon and Vladimir, contemplate hanging themselves on a nearby tree.

...
ESTRAGON:
Let's hang ourselves immediately!
VLADIMIR:
From a bough? (They go towards the tree.) I wouldn't trust it.
ESTRAGON:
We can always try.
VLADIMIR:
Go ahead.
ESTRAGON:
After you.
VLADIMIR:
No no, you first.
ESTRAGON:
Why me?
VLADIMIR:
You're lighter than I am.
ESTRAGON:
Just so!
...
VLADIMIR:
Well? What do we do?
ESTRAGON:
Don't let's do anything. It's safer.
VLADIMIR:
Let's wait and see what he says.
ESTRAGON:
Who?
VLADIMIR:
Godot.
...

As I was writing this, I was telling Tim, Catherine, and Jerry about this odd phenomenon that I'm now writing about; and Catherine and Tim mentioned that they do a similar thing: asking each other if anyone had asked if there was coding. It's moments like this I think I should write a book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home