Thursday, March 03, 2005

I Win

Many of you know of my desire to create the ugliest interfaces I possibly can in my gui design class. However, not all of you have seen the results. So I think I'll take the time to post some screenshots of the interfaces I made for Mancala and Connect 4 for the benefit of those who haven't seen them as well as to piss off those who have seen them and wish they hadn't. Unfortunately I had to shrink the images when displayed on the page. However, they'll show full size if you click on them.

Exhibit A: Mancala

Mancala View

People have noted how ghastly this interface is, and I tend to agree. However, I've found that it's grown on me the more I actually look at it. I like the contrast between the stones, the bowls, and the background. Even the stones not fitting properly in the Mancalas (the large bowls on the sides) adds an artistic touch to the view. If the patterns were different, it could possibly be a respectable interface with some work.

Exhibit B: Connect 4

Connect 4 View

This is an interface one just wants to hate. All the colors clash with each other, and it's kind of difficult to stare at for any period of time. If I had one criticism with the final product, it would be that the background yellow is too bright to make the view truly hideous. The whole view looks like it has a lot of yellow, and adding more yellow makes something seem a bit off. Perhaps I'll experiment with a different color, maybe a dark purple or blue.

One final note. All the patterns in these interfaces were built in to the GUI development environment I was using (the .NET runtime environment). I'd like to thank Microsoft for allowing such awful interfaces to exist with minimal effort.

2 Comments:

Blogger Arthaey Angosii said...

Oh noes, isn't Cal Poly going to stop hosting your images some day soon(-ish)? It would be a tragedy to lose such, er, amazing UI screenshots.

10/04/2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Arthaey Angosii said...

Check out the Connect 4 I saw at WalMart! Yours is uglier, though, so you still win. :)

4/03/2008 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home